Friday 25 April 2014

IPL and the fate of Sehwag & Gambhir

IPL is getting into full flow. CSK beat Mumbai today.

 Gautam Gambhir has played 3 innings and scored 0, 0 & 0. A sequence one would generally associate with Agarkar or with B S Chandrashekhar many decades back. Sehwag has also been a failure so far. The question being asked is - will they ever return back to their best?

Talking of Sehwag first, I think his best days are long past. He is a shadow of himself now. He is living off past glory. We may still see a vintage knock from him in IPL , but the chances of that happening is maybe once in 10 matches. At his peak he relied on his hand and eye coordination. That is failing him now. He is not too old yet, maybe 35 yrs but fitness was never his strongpoint. He is clearly struggling. He is now becoming a liability for Delhi Ranji team, forget about the national team. He still got big bucks in IPL purely based on the past.

This assessment of Sehwag appears brutal and I feel sad to write this, but that is the reality. I will be quite happy if he proves me wrong. I must say that I believe, in his pomp, Sehwag is the only batsman who played like Viv Richards. His place in the history of the game is secure. But alas it is coming to a sad end.

Now Gambhir. I believe he has cricket left in him and he may even make a comeback to India team. He has a solid work ethic, he is a determined guy and he is working hard. I think this is a passing phase. The only problem is, by the time he regains his touch, there may not be any room in the India top order for him.......let's see. I hope he gets another chance and hence he has to show in this IPL that he is back to his best.



















No comments:

Post a Comment