Saturday 3 May 2014

Shujju Bhaiya & Ashir Bhaiya - My Stylish Cousins !!


As a kid I was in awe of my two elder cousins Shujju Bhaiya (Shuja Hoda) and Ashir Bhaiya (Ashir Hussian).  I was fascinated by their sense of style, dressing sense and by how worldly wise they were. When the maximum we could do was read Amar Chitra Katha & Lot Pot, they were watching all the latest films (not just Hindi but Hollywood also). They seemed to know all about sports and English Music. I couldn’t even understand many of the things they talked among themselves.

Ashir Bhaiya would be dressed in the most trendy outfits. He would use some special words. One summer his ‘takia kalaam’ was the word ‘ulfat’. He somehow found ways of using it in each sentence. Another year his word was ‘sirik’ (don’t know what that means !!). I used to think what colourful language he uses !!

I was once looking in the Newspaper for the movies being screened in Patna. I came across a movie which had an ‘A’ after that. Naive that I was I asked Ashir Bhiaya & Shujju Bhaiya what the ‘A’ meant. They explained that in the movie the heroine was murdered in the end and she cried out ‘AAAA’, hence the ‘A’.......and I believed that for many years......


Ashir Bhaiya was a very slick talker. Once he told me that ‘Remember Azfar, the three best batsmen right now are all named Richards.....Viv Richards, Barry Richards & Hadlee Richards’.......again I believed this as gospel.....till I understood a few years later that it is actually Richard Hadlee and he is a bowler..............!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment