Monday 12 May 2014

About Me

This blog is Blog No 50..........so a milestone.............

I was thinking that I have covered so many things till now but haven't given many details about myself. Blog no 50 should be about me !!

Well, I was born in Patna, which is the capital of the Indian State of Bihar. I consider myself still pretty young, in my early 40's -:)


I spent my childhood in Ranchi, which was earlier part of Bihar but since 2000 is the capital of the new state of Jharkhand. We lived in the outskirts of the city in a place called Kanke. This place is famous for having the biggest mental asylum in Asia. This was built by the British. Hence I spent childhood in the close vicinity of lunatics (the difference being they were inside the wall of the Mental Hospital and I was outside !).....

By the way Ranchi is now famous 'as the city where M S Dhoni comes from'.

We lived in Kanke because my grandfather Syed Monazir Alam was the Principal of the Rajendra Agricultural College, Kanke. My father Prof. Qaiser Zoha Alam, retired as the Head of Department of English, Ranchi University. My mother Mrs Naheed Mohsin, also used to teach in Millat College, Ranchi.

After my grandfather retired we moved into the house (again in Kanke) where I spent most of my childhood. This house was kind of a farmhouse spread over a large area. There was a huge orchard with Lichee, Guava, Mango,Papaya, Shareefa and so many other trees. My grandfather also maintained a huge vegetable garden and Cows, Chicken, Dogs, Goats etc. Water used to be driven from 2 wells in the house. This house was surrounded by huge maidaans, there was a river and the pond nearby. Hence the kids in the house spent a considerable part of their lives on trees and playing Gilli Danda, Cricket, Football, Badminton, Kabaddi and also flying kites, playing with Lattoo लट्टू  and indulging so many other fun activities. A separate blog is needed for this.

My maternal grandfather Prof. Syed Mohammad Mohsin, was a renowned scholar and academician of psychology.

Hence, there was always an academic atmosphere around me.

I went to many schools but ultimately passed out from D.A.V Jawahar Vidya Mandir, Shyamali, Ranchi. This school has now become famous as 'Dhoni's School'. After this I did my Intermediate (Science) and Bachelor (In Science with Honours in Physics) from St. Xavier's College, Ranchi. Subsequently did my MCA (Master in Computer Applications) from Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra (near Ranchi).

After passing out, I became an IT professional (so called knowledge worker!) and worked in Bhubaneswar, Hyderabad, and also in Chennai for a few months. In 2001 I got married to Farah Ahmad who has done her BDS (Bachelor in Dental Surgery).


We were in UK (Reading) for a few months in 2003. We were also in US for 2 years (In Detroit & in Flint, Michigan) with me working for General Motors through Wipro.

My son Ammar was born in 2004 in Hyderabad.

Since 2008, we have been living in UK (In London, Norwich and now in Chelmsford,Essex). I now work for Infosys, UK as a Principal Consultant. My work is mainly in the area of Test Consulting with Banks and other financial institutions.

My sister Saba, lives in Delhi with her family.

IT people are considered very boring.........which I must confess I am to a certain extent......but I have a few interesting hobbies..........
In childhood, I was bitten by the Cricket bug and I am still afflicted by it. I like writing too. My articles have been published in The Times of India, The Asian Age and The Sportstar. I also love watching Hindi movies and spending time with my adorable son Ammar and lovely wife Farah -:)

As with everyone, life has had its ups and downs, but all in all, by the grace of Allah, I consider myself blessed in many ways........

P.S. We moved to Dartford, Kent in Nov 2014.




1 comment:

  1. nice to read your blogs.write something on shoukat hamid too.he was a great player even in comparision to dhoni.

    ReplyDelete