Saturday 9 May 2020

Chhote Abbi - Almost a movie star !!

During the recent sad demise of Irrfan Khan  & Rishi Kapoor, my Chachcha (Chhote Abbi) Mr Sanjar Alam (who lives in Delhi) recounted this story :

*******************************************************************



Here when we are talking about these great men of films (we were discussing about Irrfan Khan & Rishi Kapoor who passed away),  I feel like telling my experience of almost getting into films.....

It goes this way, in January of 1977 I went to Hong kong to attend "Indian Exhibition, Hong kong" at Hilton hotel. It was inaugurated by Md. Yunus, then Chairman TFA. Mr. Rajiv 
Gandhi (He was co-pilot then) also came with him. I had few photos with him. 
Then after the fair I had 4-5 days to return to Delhi. I moved to Hilton hotel, Kowloon side of Hong kong. There I met music director late Mr.Ravi (music director of film like Vachan 1955, Choudhvi ka Chand 1958/9, latest being Aadmi sedak ka ). 



Ravi having no specific job to do, so being me. We became good friends. No one recognised Ravi on street those days so we used to roam on Now look streets, we had lunch together in some restaurant, he liked fish, so I am.
He told me he is from Mohalla Kisroll in Moradabad. We had a office in same mohalla.
During our meetings, he started insisting me to join films & come with to Bombay, instead of going to Delhi.

He was assuring me that, he has standing of 25 years plus, If he cannot get me the lead role, he can certainly get me the 2nd lead role.
I avoided this all that discussion. I refused to go to Bombay. He gave me personal Bombay Phone number and asked me to come to Bombay & stay with him & try in films. Then we parted with promise that we meet again. I never went to Bombay. 

Now in 1978 May I was returning by from Frankfurt to  Delhi by Air India flight. It developed some snag in engine, they forced landed at Tehran and announced that instead of Delhi it will go to Bombay (It being Air India ) hub and Delhi passenger can get another booking for Delhi at Bombay  airport. The only flt to Delhi was in evening. I checked at Centuer hotel close to airport. I had no job in Centuer hotel, I pulled Mr.Ravi number and called him. He was on line, he asked me from where I was calling, my answer being Bombay at Centuer, he said l am sending my car, get ready and come to me, I am doing one film with Hrishikesh Mukherji NAMED Aadmi Sedak ka. You have full day, we can go to Filmistan studio where your auditions can be done. I am sure you being photogenic will get atleast 2nd lead role. I totally excused my self and didn't go.




The uncertainties of film industry never  gave me confidence and I couldn't muster the guts to take the plunge.

There it is, film industry lost a great actor. This is the first time I narrated my life experience to any one.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment